Saturday, October 07, 2006

Beautiful Day, Feedback Loop, What if corporations become mere husks?

Man, it is a beautiful day and I'm feeling great. It's a beautiful time of year and I get to spend it surrounded with these kids, and with excellent people at work, church, and school. Los Alamos is still fun. Yesterday I spent most of the day playing with coupled differential equations designed to model interactions between atoms and light. And a little time exploring general properties of density matrices. And about 4 hours commuting up there and back (not so bad . . . had a friend along who is a philosopher(5 years)-turned-computer-scientist(a few years and a lot of money)-turned-quantum-information-theorist along to talk with). And a bit of time at the temple. Today is more free. And tomorrow I will be released from my current calling and be given a new and fascinating one. More about that when the time comes.

Feedback Loop

We are at a pretty fun time right now with SongPiper because there is nowhere to go but up. I want to get statistics each week on the number of visitors to the sight. Right now I think that the number is about zero. It should be anyway: there isn't much in the way of worthy content there at this point. Each week we can find out how many visitors we have and as long as the number is improving I guess we can say that we are succeeding. That's all I want to do right now is establish a positive feedback loop between the sight and the three of us. Then we'll see what happens.


What if corporations become mere husks?

A couple of my heroes are Sam Walton and David Packard. Both of them seemed to be pretty down-to-earth and seemed to have tried to do a lot of good even as they built amazing companies. I think both companies have done a lot of good as well. But now . . . both companies are both huge organizations. What guarantee is there that they will maintain their integrity as companies? I don't think there is one. After reading their biographies I wanted to do what they did. I wanted to found a great company. But now I'm not sure that a great company will stay great. And if you have created something powerful that isn't guaranteed to stay moral have you really done a great thing?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home