Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Title change and a new venture

Perhaps the title of this particular blog will continue to change from time to time as it evolves. The title was Better Healthcare Less Cost, which is a goal that I would like to strive for when the time comes. But in the mean time I am removed from that by what has to be accomplished now. Right now I would like to come to a deep understanding of quantum electrodynamics, finish my PhD, keep my family alive and thriving, perform well in my ecclesiastical duties, and start a company that will have me prepared to make a dent in health care when I graduate. Everything in it's season, no?

The new title is Diligence and Temperance. I noticed this odd pairing of virtues when I was reading Alma 38 in the Book of Mormon and it really struck me. How do you grow a tree? Not by working really hard one day and then abandoning it but by making a little effort on a regular basis. How do you get into good physical shape? Not by pounding the gym real hard one day or even all day everyday. Rather you have a consistent and regular plan and you stick with it over time. How do you become an expert in a academic field? The same way. By combining temperance and diligence. How do you start a business? Usually what I hear about is insane hours and insane workloads and insane sacrifice. I believe in sacrifice. But I believe that true sacrifice is giving up what you value for what you more deeply value. So I want to build up a business with in the constraints of my current rich, full life by using the principle of coupled diligence and moderation.

It may be that I hold this odd pair as a talisman as a cover for my weakness. In starting something truly worthwhile my weakness is that I have very little time. OK, in truth I have as much time as anyone else. What I can more accurately say is that I want to start something great but that starting something great isn't my first priority. It comes after my duty to God, after the well-being of my family, after personal health, after my pursuit of truth, even after my current pursuit of a PhD. So if starting something is so far down on the priority list, how do I even have a hope of succeeding? I intend to invoke that amazing pair of powerful concepts, diligence and temperance.

By keeping my priorities in order I need never become burned out. And by consistently pushing ahead I can work toward continual progress toward my most cherished goals. I'm excited to start something. It's hard to stop thinking about it. But somehow I have to start something without giving up those things that I truly want most. I believe that I can. Here is the plan.

My first business plan:
1. Get life in order and generate 100 practical ideas (right now I only have 3!).
2. Choose one idea and devote 1 hour a day to making it a reality.
3. Gradually increase the time I devote to it as it begins to pay for our lifestyle and my tuition.
4. Graduate and either go full-time or sell it to begin the next project somewhere else.

So if you have ideas for me please send them. Remember the constraints: little time, and little capital, and it has to promote the general good. Ideally it could be capable of supporting a growing family on one hour a day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bart said...

I agree with the whole diligence and temperance idea. It's important to be able to balance your efforts on lots of things. I'm good at focusing on one thing at a time, but I'd like to learn to be more patient with lots of focuses. Because that's how life is.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 4:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home