Monday, August 07, 2006

Getting to work part II.

Lake Powell is done (it was a blast!). Vacations are over (only wish there could be more). The semester is starting and two kids are starting school. I expect some semblance of equilibrium now, which means opportunity. Opportunity to build the routines and the habits that will get things done. I read a nice article on getting things done. Pavlina lists a whole bunch of practices designed help you perform at maximum efficiency.

The very first one is clarity. So I thought it might be worth becoming very clear about what I am trying to do with my limited time. Basically I have three short term goals.
  1. Graduate with PhD by Dec 2007
  2. Develop independent income stream of at least 4k per month by Dec 2007
  3. Live a rich family life on the way.
The first two objectives listed here are very concrete pass-fail goals. The third will take a little fleshing out. But it is important enough that it needs to be up there anyway.

The second practice is flexibility. Here he explains that there is a difference between end goals and the paths that you take to get there. He suggests that you keep your end goals fixed but that you be flexible with the paths that you will take to get there. I like that balance because it makes sense. You just can't know all the details of the paths that lie ahead. But you can know where you want to go and plan the path as you go.

My plan for working toward these goals on a daily basis is this:
  1. Take time. If it is important, take time for it. Scripture study is important to me. So I make time for it even if I wake up late. Exercise is important to me. Cleaning our home and working to make Gina's life pleasant is important. Getting something concrete done to move toward the completion of a PhD is very important. My time is flexible. For that reason I can and am taking time to do the most important things each day.
  2. Take it in steps. Each day I have concrete objectives and to focus on them until they are completed. Those objectives are chosen with the goal of moving toward the three large goals. That way at the end of a day I can know that my time has not gone for nothing.
  3. Celebrate the small. Each micro-objective accomplished is a time to celebrate and express gratitude. I don't know quite why this feels important but I believe that it is important.
That's about all that I have fleshed out right now. But it is enough to feel good about things. Now to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home