Saturday, August 26, 2006

People first.

Awhile back I read that book by Jim Collins and his research group called Good to Great. I really enjoyed it. It wasn't a physics text and couldn't be because it was about something human. But there were a lot of principles taught that I thought might be worth taking to heart when trying to start a company.

Anyway, the very first principles surprised me though they shouldn't have. They were this: the people in the company are the most critical part of the company. Not assets, direction, ideas etc. Focus on getting the right people and the others follow. So I'm trying it out. I am now working with two of the best guys I know trying to start our little company. So far it has been a pleasure. Both of these guys are as green as I am. Just like I don't know programming, Denis doesn't know web design. Ryan doesn't know marketing. But I am confident that we can learn. And these past couple of weeks when we have been working together have been really neat. I feel like something is really coming together.

Anyway, it's fun. Have a great week.

Doug

2 Comments:

Blogger Molecular Turtle said...

The people come first is the best idea. I'm in a business and biotechnolgy masters programme and I believe that if you have the right people the rest follows. There's very little a bright person can't learn. However there are a multitude of things people can't unlearn like bad attitudes :)

Friday, September 01, 2006 8:48:00 PM  
Blogger Molecular Turtle said...

The people come first is the best idea. I'm in a business and biotechnolgy masters programme and I believe that if you have the right people the rest follows. There's very little a bright person can't learn. However there are a multitude of things people can't unlearn like bad attitudes :)

Friday, September 01, 2006 8:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home