Saturday, March 03, 2007

So much fun

Gina got me a ping pong table for a birthday present when she saw it at Walmart for $50. We took a few days to set it up and had it ready by this last Wednesday evening.

Today Denis, my friend from Russia, and Puff, my friend from China, came over with their special paddles and we played. First we played one on two, rotating around so that each person got a turn to be alone. Then we played one on one. Then one on two again and finally one on one. I was beaten once in every situation and I won once in every situation. It was so dang fun. Maybe life is actually about ping pong . . .

It would be a treat to play enough to offer a good challenge to Rob, James, Bart, and SamB. Watch out, boys. My chinese friend has some tricks to teach me.

We took a break to let the kids start learning how to play. They are still pretty short for the table and they are still learning how to hit and how to hold the paddle.

When it was all done and they had left Gina asked if it had been nice. I wanted to express my gratitude. I told her it was as much fun as I had had in this house. That got me in hot water. I had to explain that it wasn't in the same category as a lot of the other great things that have happened in this house and couldn't properly be compared.

One problem is space. We put up the table in the largest room of the house. Then we cleared that room of every bit of furniture. It was still small enough that the walls interfered from time to time with our game. Well, we may end up growing out of this little home at some point. Still, it's been great over the last 3.5 years.

Only two weeks and two days until the baby is due.

Doug

7 Comments:

Blogger Hawke said...

I can see how that comment got you in hot water, but I know my brother and I know what you meant. I am glad the ping pong table is such a fun time. Gina is a good wife to let you use a whole room for it. I think you should for sure buy a bigger house, but I want you to finish your PHD and buy one here in UT.
Love,
Heather

Sunday, March 04, 2007 9:07:00 AM  
Blogger Douglas H. said...

Thanks, Heather. We're thinking toward moving back at some point. We still check house prices out there every so often. (I did yesterday.) Utah County is about the most expensive place in Utah to get what we want (more than Salt Lake County or Cache County, for example) but we're still looking and keeping track of things.

Sunday, March 04, 2007 4:02:00 PM  
Blogger Janssen said...

Bart and I got a good chuckle out of you getting in hot water with that comment. Bart said I would never let him have a whole room for a ping pong table. And he's probably right. Our back shed, however, is all his for the taking.

Sunday, March 04, 2007 8:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Doogie. There's a ping pong tournament going on here full time so start getting ready. Rob just left and Beau's almost better now. I need to do it more myself. Beau and I do a little racquetball now and then and I love it.

That's exciting about the new baby and it's hilarious that you got into trouble for saying that. Don't we men make a lot of insensitive comments without meaning to? Hate it when I do that.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 4:54:00 PM  
Blogger Douglas H. said...

Janssen, I'm not sure we'll be able to keep the room exclusively ping pong either. Right now we have the portable furniture in there and if someone comes over we can move it.

Wow, Dad. Even with a table I can't match the amount of practicing I imagine is going on at your place. I'll count myself lucky to play once a week.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 6:45:00 PM  
Blogger Bart said...

When I commented to Janssen that you hadn't posted in awhile, she promptly replied, "That's because he has a ping pong table now!" I bet she's right, but I hope you'll still post from time to time.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:33:00 PM  
Blogger Douglas H. said...

Thanks for the prompt, Bart.

I wish it were ping pong. Or maybe not. I guess the other things are pretty good. Sadly, I haven't played a game since the last blog.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 5:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home