Thursday, February 08, 2007

Special Relativity

I wrote the first chapter of a text book on Special Relativity. I think I might call the text "Special Relativity in your bones" because the goal will be not so much to learn about it academically as to have it become a part of the way you think about the world. By the end of the textbook you should be able to hear that a bullet moves at x miles per hour and calculate in your head the length contraction and time dilation associated with that bullet. And you should know how to mentally rotate time into space and vice verse as you think hop from one special referrence frame to another. You should be able to derive the whole theory from the premise that the speed of light is a law of physics.

It assumes high school math and has been fun to write. It's modeled on the Saxon math textbook series. Anyway, since beginning I have found out that writing the thing is going to be a bit of a recursive process. If you want to read through the first chapter let me know. I'd love feedback.

I'll add a comment to this post when I get to a finishing point on any given unit. Currently finishing such an incremental part of the book consists of the following tasks:
  • I've written the explanatory section
  • I've written up the problems (20 to 30)
  • I've written up the solutions
  • I've found and included an appropriate quote
  • I have the content outlined for the next 5 units
  • I've taken into account any feedback that I've received on previous units.

10 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Doug,

Your book sounds fascinating, something I would love to read and I would love to see lots of other people read as well. So if you want to share your first chapter...

Love,
Mom

Friday, February 09, 2007 6:51:00 AM  
Blogger Douglas H. said...

One taker. Thanks, Mom, that makes me happy!

I'll send the chapter tonight. I'll send solutions to the problems upon request.

Friday, February 09, 2007 8:06:00 AM  
Blogger Douglas H. said...

Unit one done

By the rules put up in this post I have finished the first unit today. I'd like to finish the next one by one week from today. We'll see how it goes.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 8:56:00 PM  
Blogger Bart said...

Doug, I'd like to read your first chapter.

Bart

Monday, February 12, 2007 5:48:00 PM  
Blogger Joe & Julie said...

I would be willing to read your first chapter, but I doubt my feedback could be of any help. I'm not like your new hero--I didn't flunk Chemistry, but I did struggle through high school trig and calculus. I was just too darn lazy, and I really didn't care. If it weren't for your mother helping to bail me out with her tutoring sessions I wouldn't have gotten through them.

Monday, February 12, 2007 6:06:00 PM  
Blogger Douglas H. said...

Okay, guys. I'll send it over. With a bit of work and luck I'll have a draft of chapter 2 done this Saturday. On verra.

Monday, February 12, 2007 7:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Doug,

I'm interested in reading your first chapter. I don't know how much input I could give you, but it sounds fun!

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 2:31:00 PM  
Blogger Douglas H. said...

Cathy, I just sent it over. Thanks!

Friday, March 02, 2007 10:28:00 AM  
Blogger Hawke said...

Doug,
I don't think even your book could help me. I didn't even totally understand your blog about it and I surely don't jump from one reference to the next. I am glad you are writing it though.
--Heather

Sunday, March 04, 2007 9:10:00 AM  
Blogger Douglas H. said...

Heather, you could totally understand it.

Sunday, March 04, 2007 4:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home