Saturday, May 27, 2006

Goal setting

That makes two cycles of goal setting and achieving. I guess that there will be a lot more cycles before this is all done.

For me goals are a funny thing. It is one thing to set them and another to commit to them. When I set an initial goal it is partly a goal and partly a guess. I try to stretch reality a bit, but not too much. I don't really know if I can achieve the goal. Another question is always whether it is the right goal.

So for the first bit of time I think that part of what drives my work on the goal is research. I'm trying to find out if the goal is actually achievable. And also if it aligns well with the larger picture of what I am trying to do. So far in each cycle there has come a point when the time has been about 60% or more up when I have had to really decide whether or not I would commit to the goal. In both cases it still seemed pretty iffy whether or not I could achieve that goal. In each case I responded to that questioning time by first hesitating and then praying and then moving forward with having decided to get the job done. That last decision seems to be only partially in my control. And I think it has to do with what I believe in my heart are the answers to the two questions that I was researching. Can I believe that the goal can be accomplished? Do I believe that it is worth accomplishing? I think my heart kind of waits for an affirmative on both questions before it truely signs onto the goal that was set weeks earlier.

After each job has been done there has been a bit of a let down. A celebration, but also a desire to rest and renew my sense of direction. Possibly a lack of direction and a bit of burnout as well. Certainly I have wanted to stop with the type of work that got the goal accomplished and step back for awhile.

It is tempting to think of this last step as wasted time. And definitely burnout is bad, especially if it lasts. So is a lack of direction. But I think that at least part of this time is really important. When you are committed to a goal you become pretty obsessive about it. At least if the goal is tough to achieve. And you become pretty myopic. You have to because the accomplishment of the goal comes through the exact or recursive execution of a hundred little details. But when the goal is reached it is time to look around and open your mind to the possibilities around you. When you are climbing the mountain you need to watch the trail so that you don't stumble. But when you get to the first outlook I think it makes sense to stop and look at the view. Maybe you can enjoy just being there on the mountain. And maybe you can see better what you need to do next. And maybe you can rest up a little physically but also spiritually.

I'm not done with this step yet. I was surprised by the early completion of task 2 and my mind is still a little bit clamorous. So for that reason I am not ready to set the next meaningful goal. Not yet. But I am beginning to look toward a new type of goal to supplement continued progress with SongPiper (the name of the program for now). I am beginning to think about how to bring it to people who will use it. And pay for it.

Doug

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home