Sunday, April 23, 2006

Task 2 week 1

Yesterday afternoon it was Kate first. Elsie followed, hot on her tail. Then Kate again. Then it was mayhem between the three girls. The count by the end of the day was Kate 4, Abigail 4, and Elsie 6. Timmy didn't start in until this morning. This morning in our bed he started vomiting too. I was teaching so Gina stayed home while I went to church. I think that Kate and Abby are pretty much over everything now but Elsie is still a bit iffy.

That was (I hope past tense is appropriate!) probably the most exciting adventure of the week. I got the yard tilled and helped my PhD advisor move. Elsie continued to progress toward walking. Kate decided the other morning that she could read the Book of Mormon so we let her tackle one of the verses each scripture study session. I'm pretty impressed with what she is doing.

Anyway, to the point: tangible progress was nil. We made our next goal and have started to hack away. I learned about threads and producer/consumer pairs and about action events and such but I haven't yet implemented anything.

I've been having trouble with mental discipline. Rather than thinking about the technical challenges that we face I keep finding myself thinking about the marketing challenges that we face. I find the problem a fascinating one: how do we reach and educate thousands of people? Neither of us has time to go and sell to one person at a time for too long. (Say that we want to hire a couple of people. Say the labor is neither expensive nor cheap. Then we have to come up with at least $8000 per month just to pay for labor. Say we sold at the $100 a pop that one of the priests in our priests quorum thought that the simplest version of our pitch detector would sell for. If 50% of the revenue becomes that salary we would require 160 successful sales per month. But we want to hire developers, not full time salesmen!) Anyway, we need to figure out a way to get some leverage. I believe there are a lot of ways. We just have to find them. I think I will start listing marketing ideas as they come so that they don't get lost. Perhaps I'll try for 100 for old time's sake.

Anyway, this week I think my task will be to implement what I've been learning. It is time to begin playing around in GUI land. The dream is this: a working (meaning live pitch updates) GUI by Saturday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home